First Baptist Moss Bluff began with thirty members in 1949, when the population of the area was approximately 1,500 people. First Moss Bluff was the first baptist church in the community. It was never a mission of any other church but, from the beginning, was an independent, self-supporting church affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention.
The first church building was completed on October 27, 1949, with Brother Stafford Hebert serving as a part-time pastor. Two years later, the church called Brother Ben A. Hatfield as the first full-time minister. In 1953, the church building was moved to the present site, and a long-range building program began. The first project was an educational building that was completed on September 6, 1955. In 1960, the church voted to build a new, larger sanctuary and the first services were held on September 11 of that year.
In the summer of 2018, First Moss Bluff moved into our new worship center while our student ministry moved into the old worship center. In the hallway of our new worship center, you can find a photographic timeline of our church’s history. Our prayer is that God continues to use First as a beacon of truth, hope, and light in the Lake Area for many years to come.
When it comes to ministry here, we keep things pretty simple by taking our cues from the early church of Acts. Our focus is on what we call “two wings of the bird”: worship and small groups. We believe that as we draw near to God in worship, we also draw closer to each other. This is taken a step further when we live life together in our small groups. Here is where we minister to each other and bear each other’s burdens.
Each week we worship with around 1,400 people. We hold two Sunday morning worship services, along with small group times, and Midweek services on Wednesdays. We care about our visitors and would love for you to check out what is going on at First.